Monday, July 12, 2010

First morning in Sasayama

Okay, so I'm finally on a laptop here, though I don't have much time. Got in to town at about 5 last night, showered, ate, talked to the other WWOOFers here for a little while, and then tried to sleep. There are tree frogs here like the ones Ian used to think we had on Cherokee st, and they kept getting each other riled up last night. The mosquitos are small and faster than the ones in Boston, but they're no match for these green coiled incense-looking things that were burning last night - apparently they have DEET in them. Insects were dropping like, well, um, it was weird. I wonder if burning DEET incense is illegal at home, because I've never seen it before. I still got a bunch of bites, but I don't seem to react to them very badly, which I've been told happens to some people here - some don't react at all! There are 11 people here total right now, I think - Australian, German, French, Taiwanese, and one other American, at the moment. I was getting in a lot of Japanese practice my first 2 days in Asakusa, but it's going to be easy to forget and speak English too often, here. I'll have to try pretty hard to continue, surrounded by so many other Westerners!
There's a lot more I want to write, of course, but I only have time because I woke up about early - have to eat breakfast and get ready to go out and work. I ought to have some time to check back in tonight, though. I'll try to hook my camera up then and see if I can upload some of the better quality photos - the phone's good for quick posts on Facebook, but I assume the photos are a bit fuzzy. I'll try to get back soon! So many things to write about-

No comments:

Post a Comment