Saturday, July 17, 2010

Where was I...

So getting to Asakusa was easy. Paying fares on the train here is different though- you pay more or less depending on how far you go, so you can pick any amount when you get on, but you have to stop at a 'fare adjustment' machine on the way out so you end up paying the proper amount. I got that part down without trouble, but I got confused by the gate while leaving, and stood there staring too long after inserting the ticket, and missed my chance to walk out. The gate only stays open for about 8-10 seconds, and after that you're stuck. The attendant saw me standing there looking so confused and let me by after a moment, but for all he knew I hadn't paid enough or something. Slightly embarrassing- I could probably have explained what I did in Japanese if I'd had the time, but he just let me through, so I didn't say anything except thank you. It was about 6 PM when I got to the hotel, which was really like 500 yards from the exit, but once I got to my room after talking to the people at the front desk for a minute and blaming my incoherency on exhaustion, I took a shower and went right to sleep. I had wanted to spend the first night checking out the neighborhood, but I hadn't accounted for the traveling part being so draining! So what ended up happening was that I woke up at about 5 AM the next morning, which turned out to be a good thing...
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment