Thursday, August 19, 2010

where the hell am I?

I am really disoriented! It's like being in two places at once, but then not really being in either. the trip back was dragged out by another day, first because the flight out of Narita was delayed 5 hours, and then because I had to sleep in Toronto because I'd missed the connecting flight. They did put us up in hotels, at least.
My brain's been completely scrambled since about 3-4 hours into the wait wandering around in Narita, trying not to get bored during my last hours in Japan. There's a small shopping mall full of restaurants in the airport, so there was a lot to see when you've got 7 hours to kill, but it was still difficult, physically and psychologically. The trip itself was pretty rough, as well. Got back into Boston yesterday morning, felt drunk and stupid all day. My ankles had swelled up like balloons, and I could not think straight at all. I slept terribly last night, drifting in and out of confused dreams mostly in Japan, and whenever I woke up enough to remember where I was, this splitting headache would force me back under. My first Dunkin Donuts coffee in over a month is good, but not quite as good as I expected it to be, if you know what I mean.
I really want to write about and relive more of the things that happened on the trip, but right now just trying to reground myself in Boston is taking a lot of focus. I'm going to head out to the office at MIT and try to catch up on what's going on there to try to give myself some sense of the old routine, and hopefully start to get my balance back again. I'm so happy I went, but of course now I'm also sad that what has become a really meaningful place in my life is on the other side of the world and not easy to go back to whenever I feel like it. No doubt, though, I'll be working on my language skills and heading back there whenever I can save enough money and repress enough of my fear of airplanes to make it happen. Sasayama definitely started to feel like a second home, and on top of that I have friends that live all over the damn world now - after just living and working in Boston for over 15 years, this has been a seriously valuable experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment